Saturday, April 2, 2011

Barefoot and Baking...and a babyshower!



Greetings on this new April Fool's Day! Can't believe how fast the past year flew by me...but I know I will continue to say those exact words the older I become. I didn't have a chance to post last week, because I was insanely busy. Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen had 2 dessert orders and1 baby shower all in a matter of  2 days. Might not seem like much for a bakery (which I am not), but I was not only baking for the baby shower, I was hosting it as well. And as many of us can attest, hosting is a lot more then plopping down some cookies and saying "Eat Up!" Since I live in a country where the concept of a baby shower is a foreign idea, I had to improvise a little, as not to completely overwhelm the new mom to be with our big American celebrations. The guest list was roughly 35 ladies and I think in total we were 32. In my small European flat, that is quite a significant amount of bums to find space for. It was crowded, it was loud, there was laughter, crying (babies), screaming (small children), drinks spilled, gifts opened and dessert devoured. Since this is not a typical Swedish tradition to bring gifts before the baby is born, I worked out a way of giving one big gift that people just paid into. I saw the awesome idea of a diaper cake online and thought it looked fairly easy and super cute. The easy part, definitely took my husbands incredible idea skills to help form the basis of the cake (getting all those diapers to sit together in a nice circular motion). He actually was the main assembler, but with out my ability to tie a string around those diapers, they wouldn't have stayed. =)
Aside from the baby shower, I had my usual weekly baked good I deliver on Fridays (which I didn't have this week, hence the fact that I am writing about the past) and one luncheon that I made my scrumptious brownies for. Unfortunately, the luncheon was canceled, so I shared the goods with a few friends. My regular weekly baked good was French Silk Pie. Totally a chocolate lover's dream.
I heard it was on the sweet side, so if you are not into a lot of sugar, you can always put less in. My trick though, is knowing that something is rich and sweet and that people can only take a little bit of it, and they will not forget it. It's a psychological thing. (I am making this up)
Next week's endeavor is going to be really exciting. I found a new recipe by...can you guess? Martha Stewart of course! It's called Chocolate Coconut Cheesecake Squares. Looks absolutely divine. If you must have the recipe immediately to try, then check out Martha's website, otherwise I will post next week and include the recipe. This week's recipe will be that infamous French Silk Pie.

Until my next post..I suggest you check out the blog The Pioneer Woman, she has awesome stuff going on.
Barefoot and Baking in the Kitchen



Pie crust ready to go in the oven
 












Mixing sugar and margarine
















Cocoa added

































Vanilla
















Mix well






























Firs of four eggs, each needs 5 minutes
mixing time.

































Nice peaks













Second egg
















Getting fluffier
















Third egg
















Silkier













Silky and smooth
















Nice mousse texture
















Fourth and final egg













Nice French silk style
















Pour into baked pie crusts
















Refrigerate













Add whipped cream with sprinkled
chocolate slivers on top before serving.
I don't have pictures of that final process.
















French Silk Pie Recipe

Pie Crust (makes 1 pie):
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup  margarine
2 tbsp. ice water
Mix flour and salt  add in margarine and water. Form a dough ball and then roll out and put into pan.  Bake 15 minutes (or until golden brown) at 350F or 225C

French Silk Mousse:
1/2C butter(softened)
3/4C sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
Cream butter and sugar, add cocoa and vanilla, beat until smooth. Beat 1 egg at a time for 5 minutes into the mixture. Should be silky smooth. Pour onto crust and chill for at least an hour. Add whipped cream and sprinkled chocolate pieces before serving.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment