Monday, September 26, 2011

11 cakes in a week...


Greetings on this gorgeous Friday! (okay when I wrote this it was Friday...I was just a bit slow in getting it finished because I had a very busy weekend. Oh well...here's the blog anyway. And I just finished some yummy sugar cookies, that I might blog about tomorrow) The sun is actually shining here in Sweden and  I am so happy that it's finally Friday. I have had one busy baking week. I was asked to bake cakes for a conference happening this weekend, there will be roughly 160 people attending, a meeting for 15 people and two birthdays. For the conference I used simple recipes a chocolate and an English cinnamon cake that I baked (x8) for each. For the meeting of 15, I baked fun cupcakes, and for the birthdays which were combined I made a new cake! Since I am only one person and baking is not my full time work, I had some help with the large conference cakes. But it's been a full week and I can officially say that I am tired of sugar, flour and eggs...at least for the weekend! I will start again on Monday with a whole new baking adventure.

Until next time enjoy your baking adventures,
Barefoot and Baking in the Kitchen

Here are some pictures of the fun I had this week...

The start of the  Raspberry cream filled cake with
Chocolate Ganache frosting. Boiling cream.












Bars of milk chocolate












All finely chopped and ready to be melted with the cream












Together it makes a lovely swirl of colors, not to mention
it's divine in taste. After I mixed it completely, I set in the
fridge to cool for several hours. Then took it out and
whipped it.












Here is the final whipped product












Then I started on the cream raspberry center filling












Added in raspberry jam to taste












And voilá look at this pretty pink filling












And these are the three sugar cakes that will make the
layered cake. Don't worry I did not burn them, they just
turned darker on one side.












Raspberry cream filling on bottom layer












Here's two layers












Here's the final three. Like a big sandwich.












Different angle and sitting nicely in the fridge












Here it is almost complete, with the chocolate ganache
frosting. If you think it sounds good, let me assure you
that straight out of the mixing bowl, with the spatula
in fact, this taste incredible. I don't usually splurge on
my baked goods because I am so sick of all the sugar,
but I do not regret indulging on this.












From above












Was very easy to smooth onto cake












The final touch is lined raspberries around the cake












Pretty












Just having fun taking shots of this lovely cake












Next up are the Lemon Cupcakes. Creaming butter
and sugar here,












Next you add lemon peel, vanilla and eggs












Makes a nice smooth batter












Then the milk is added and everything is mixed and then
you put into cupcake holders












First part of the frosting and next time I do this I will skip
because in the end it caused the frosting to separate.
Whipping the cream until stiff peaks form.












Combined with the rest of the frosting ingredients












Here are the final cupcakes frosted and ready to eat!












I made a batch of 18 and made WAY too much frosting
I think if you are making more cupcakes then the normal portion,
try only one batch of the frosting. It went a LONG way.












YUM!












One of the 8 large cakes I made...with
some awesome help though. * Note-when
trying to get such large cake out of pan...
cut into pieces first. Every one of mine
broke somewhere in the middle or sides.
Broken cake does not equal nasty bad
tasting cake, but it's not as pleasing to the
eye.


Recipe for the cakes:

Raspberry cream and chocolate ganache cake:
Sugar cakes:
50 g margarine 
1/2 C sour cream
2 eggs
3/4 C sugar
1 1/4 C flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter and milk together, whisk eggs and sugar, add to butter and milk. Add flour, baking powder and vanilla. Bake at 350F or 175C for 35-40 minutes.

Ganache frosting


Serves: 1.5 cups

Ingredients
  • 12 ounces chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • optional 3 tablespoons flavored liqueor
Instructions
  1. Place chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until completely mixed and glossy. Allow ganache to cool before pouring over cakes as a glaze. The longer you allow the ganache to cool, the thicker it will set. Typically I stick mine in the refrigerator so it is slightly cold before whipping. For piping or frosting, allow the ganache to completely cool and set up. When you are able to spoon the ganache and it can hold its texture, it is ready for piping.

Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon mousse frosting

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
For the cupcakes: In a large bowl, whip butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in eggs, vanilla and lemon zest. Scrape sides of the bowl and whip again. Slowly stir in dry ingredients until combined and then stream in milk. Scrape sides of the bowl again and mix until batter is just combined.
Scoop batter by the spoonful into prepared muffin tins, dividing it evenly. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F and put cupcakes into the oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until just baked. (The last thing you want to do is over-bake these! Watch them like CRAZY!!) Remove from oven and cool completely.
For the frosting, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Remove from bowl and set aside. In the same bowl, whip butter, vanilla, lemon zest and powdered sugar for about a minute. You just want to break the butter up in the powdered sugar. With the mixer on, stream in the milk until the frosting starts coming together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and whip it on high for about 2 minutes. Fold in the cream carefully. Once it’s all incorporated, you can frost your cupcakes. I used a piping bag with Wilton tip #1M, but doing it old school with a knife is totally fine too. Serve.
If there are leftovers, store them in the fridge.

Ingredients

  • FOR THE CUPCAKES:
  • ½ cups Butter, Softened
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • 1-⅓ cup All-purpose Flour
  • ½ cups Milk
  • FOR THE FROSTING:
  • ⅓ cups Heavy Cream
  • ½ cups Butter, Softened
  • ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
  • 3 cups Powdered Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment