Monday, November 15, 2010

The right cookie for the right season

Well, it's Monday again and I was so tired this morning when I woke up at 6:00 for Zumba lessons. I did eventually make it to the class, but it took me a while to get my brain and body to co-ordinate. I am now sitting here in my wicker chair, waiting for a new oven to be put in the kitchen, so that I can begin to bake Oatmeal Spice Cookies. I don't know what it is, but I think Autumn and up to Christmas are the best times of the year to bake. Perhaps it's that the weather is most often drab and cold and therefore, you need a bit of warmth and sweet things to cheer you up. Whatever the reason, the spices and tastes from these cookies fit perfectly into this time of year. I had a neighbor when I was a little girl, I may have mentioned her in an earlier post, her name was Grace. She was in her 80's I think when I met her and she always had something baking in the oven. It is a memory ingrained into my brain, of walking into her house, the screen door hitting the frame, and inhaling the smell of cookies fresh out of her oven. I of course, enjoyed me a many cookie at her house, with a glass of cold of milk to help it travel down to my little tummy and make the experience a memory I now savor. That is somehow a dream or longing I also have, for anyone that comes to my house, to feel welcome and sit down for a little cake or cookie and be filled with tasteful bliss. So if you are in the neighborhood, you can feel free to pop by for a treat!

I have made these spice oatmeal cookies before and they were a hit. They taste great with a glass of cold milk, if you are interested in baking them.

I now hear that the man putting in the oven is nearly done, so I will end this post in order that I don't have to bake all evening long.

Until my next post, have a pleasant time this season and treat others to your sweets.

Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen









Recipe for Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Ingredients:
1C butter, softened
1C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
3C oats
1C raisins

In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Stir in oats and raisins. Put in spoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 175C or 300F

No comments:

Post a Comment