Thursday, December 9, 2010

Distracted, dancing baker


Okay all you chocolate and coffee lovers, have I got a scrumptious recipe for you to try! I found this recipe in a small magazine that our local grocers carry. It's called Coffee Sticky Cake (Kaffekladdkaka) and it is melt in your mouth goodness. It's dark chocolate flavor, mixed in with strong coffee is simply divine. From the first step of melted butter to the final touch of adding strong made coffee, your senses are awakened to the pleasures this cake will bring to your taste buds. While baking, I had Christmas music playing in the background and at one point (thanks to Zumba) I did some salsa to Feliz Navidad. This of course, makes the whole ordeal of baking so much more worthwhile. Trust me...dancing a little in the kitchen with a wooden spoon in your hand and cocoa everywhere...is a complete blast. I often think this is where I am truly myself, when I can let down and just boogie, with NO care in the world and no thought of anything but having fun. Currently both cakes are plumping up in the oven, which for sticky cakes, they shouldn't get as high as normal cakes...because they lack one important ingredient which causes the rise and that is baking powder. The stickier and gooier the cake, the better. And as I am sitting here typing I realized that I totally forgot to add the flour...oh no!

I have just now checked them when they came out and they tasted fine and look great, but they are a little more loose then normal sticky cake and will have to be eaten in a bowl. But if you are gluten free then this could work for you. Luckily this accident (which may be attributed to the dancing...) didn't result in two destroyed cakes and a very unhappy baker!

Until my next post...try not to forget an essential ingredient while baking and let your taste buds jump for joy!
Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen

Here is the recipe for you to try. Again I only have them in Swedish measurements, but I think it's super easy to convert if you want to try.

Coffee Sticky Cake (Kaffekladdkaka)
150g butter
1dl kakao
2 eggs
3dl sugar
2 tbsp. crushed coffee beans (I just used coffee already ground)
1 tsp. vanilla
1dl strong coffee
2dl flour

Melt butter and mix with cocoa. Whisk in eggs and sugar. Add crushed coffee beans, vanilla, and coffee. Put in normal cake or brownie pan. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350F or 175C. Add chocolate bits while the cake is still warm. Let it cool and then serve with cream

Garnishing:
1/2dl chopped dark chocolate

Serve with:
2 1/2dl whipped cream

Melted butter

















Ingredients awaiting to be mixed














Cocoa added

















Once mixed it should look silky and creamy


















Time for the eggs


















And next is the sugar













Mixing it all together, mixture will be a little
grainy, especially from the coffee pieces

















Adding liquid coffee













French pressed coffee, often turns out stronger, but use
what you have













At this point after adding coffee, the mixture
gets really liquidy, so I suggest a spoon to mix

















Creamy, but remember that I forgot to add the flour,
so if you are using flour your mixture will be a little
thicker then mine, but it will still be more loose.














This is what happens if you use the mixer
in the really soupy mixture. It splattered
all over the place, including on the cupboards
and counter top.

















The cakes ready to go into the oven

















Finished cakes with chocolate bits on top


















No comments:

Post a Comment