Thursday, January 6, 2011

Creamy Lemon Goodness



Greetings from my kitchen! Today was a day off for us here in Sweden, so my husband and I have been taking it quite easy and relaxing. We just returned from a scrumptious lunch with my husband's boss and his wife and several others. After eating all the delicious food, I hardly feel like baking, but tomorrow sixteen people are expecting something mouth watering. For today's baking endeavor I have decided on Creamy Lemon Bars. Being the baking nerd that I am, I am signed up to received two recipe emails from Martha Stewart daily. I even have a Martha Stewart folder in my email box to help keep track of it all...a sign of a real nerd I know. However, time after time I get awesome ideas from this lady and I am proud to say that nearly 100% of the time I have succeeded. This time I am trying a rather easy recipe. It consists of only 6 ingredients and the portion says it's for 16...I am hoping so since I only have enough for one batch. Here's hoping! Lemon cakes, bars, cookies, etc. are amongst my favorite desserts. With their tangy, citrus zing I love the sense my taste buds experience when I bite into something lemon. Perhaps it's the effect of being forced to eat lemons when I was baby...thus producing entertainment for the onlookers, whatever the cause, I thoroughly enjoy lemon flavored things. If you like lemon things as well, be sure to try this super easy recipe.

Until my next post, let your taste buds experience the goodness of life!
Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen

Sugar, butter and salt mixture













Smooth and silky













Only 6 ingredients for this delicious treat




























Adding the flour

















At first this mixture will be crumbly

















After a little while of mixing, you can pick
it up and press it together to form the crust

















Press into the pan and poke with a fork all over













Egg yolks













Eggs and condensed milk

















Lemon juice added, I just used concentrate instead
of real lemon juice from lemons. I think it works
the same














Nice and creamy look

















Readied crust

















Filling and crust ready to be baked

















Oven time!















Creamy Lemon Bars Recipe

Ingredients

Makes 16
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides; butter paper.
  2. Make crust: Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy. Add flour, and mix on low just until combined. Press dough into the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of prepared pan; prick all over with a fork. Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
  3. Make filling: In a large bowl, whisk together yolks, condensed milk, and lemon juice until smooth. Pour over hot crust in pan; return to oven, and bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
  4. Refrigerate until filling is firm, about 2 hours or up to 3 days. Using paper overhang, lift cake onto a work surface; cut into 16 squares, and dust with confectioners sugar.


Read more at Marthastewart.com: Creamy Lemon Squares - Martha Stewart Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment