Saturday, January 22, 2011

What to do with the excess?

Greetings from a very frosty and icy Sweden. After successfully cleaning our flat this morning and watching a super cheesy chick flick on the couch (total waste of brain cells) I decided to do something better with my time this afternoon. And what could be better for a baker's time then baking? Totally rhetorical question. Because I am a believer in using almost any food before throwing it out, I have had sitting in my refrigerator for the past two weeks, some yogurt that my husband didn't like the taste of. Yogurt is great in many things and my favorite thing to use it in are muffins! I have a great muffin recipe and love to make super giant muffins...you know the ones you buy at Starbucks or any other cool coffee place. Today's muffin mixture was my own concoction. The yogurt I had was flavored with apples and quince (never heard of this fruit until this yogurt, for more information...search wikipedia). The original muffin recipe I have, calls for berries, but since I didn't think this flavor of yogurt would go well with berries, I substituted pears instead. Adding a couple teaspoons of cinnamon and some oats to the whole thing, it turned out to be a really nice combination of flavors and smells. So if you are like me and don't like to waste any food, or if you just happen to have some extra yogurt sitting in the fridge, might I suggest that muffins are the way to go! Fresh and hot out of the oven these muffins are a winner! And this was a brilliant way to get my wonderful husband to eat something that he wasn't fond of from the beginning.

Until my next post try some new combos of food...you might just find the next best thing!
Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen

Frosty and icy weather is perfect for baking!













Everything has a shade of blue due to the frozen state.













 Fresh, warm, yummy muffins straight out of the oven













See the cracks...this means your muffins have baked
perfectly!













Yummy goodness!













 Six large muffins...perfect for a small group of friends
or you can freeze them as well.














Recipe for muffins ( I substitute the berries if I don't have any, also I use flavored or plain yogurt)

2 eggs
2 dl yogurt or sour cream
1dl butter or margarine (softened)
5 dl flour
1.5 dl sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
2-3 dl berries or cut up pieces of fruits
1-2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1.5 dl oats (optional)

Whisk the eggs and sugar together. Mix in the yogurt and butter, then add the berries/fruit bits. Batter will be lumpy. Blend in dry ingredients and mix thoroughly, batter should be thick. For large muffin form, 2-3 tbsp. of batter in each. For small muffin form 1-2 tbsp. of batter. Bake at 300F or 225C for 15-20mins. Muffins should look cracked on top.
Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. I have a lovely yoghurt cake recipe I can email you - tastes lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might have to try this. Where do you find the muffin pans to bake the giant muffins in? The tops of the muffins that you can buy at a coffee shop are one of the simple pleasures of life! DELICIOUS!
    Lovin' you!

    ReplyDelete