Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cinnamon Sensation Goes Buckwild

Flour, eggs, sugar, butter and sour cream...these are all the ingredients that are currently decorating my kitchen counters, cupboard doors, floor and island. What started out as a normal afternoon in the kitchen turned into a tornado of events. Due to the fact that I haven't been able to sleep so well these past three weeks, I know I am not the most alert person at times. As I started these cinnamon roll cakes I was really just going through the motions in one way. You know...you beat the butter and the sugar until it's fluffy...what's so hard with that? Well I realized I wasn't paying much attention when, while beating these very ingredients I sprayed them all over the kitchen. I thought...no big deal...I'll clean it later. Then proceeding to the sour cream part, I spilled some of it out of the bowl and managed to get it everywhere. Moving onto the flour, while sifting it into the mixture, managed to dump 1/2 a deciliter onto the counter. It was then I thought...man I am so not in my game today. And as I was walked across the kitchen to throw away the egg shells, I successfully stepped in a blob of batter that smeared all over the bottom of my knitted sock. After scraping it off with a kitchen knife I decided that I would start to pick up my mess. While taking out the beaters from the mixer, one shot out and onto the floor, totally not missing the cupboard door and leaving cake residue dripping in a downward motion. And there ended my fiasco with the cake batter. I did successfully manage to get the batter into the cake pans and one is currently baking in the oven. The kitchen looks like I was having a tantrum and couldn't hold myself together, but in fact is the sign a one tired lady who just couldn't seem to get with it today. These moments make me laugh except for the fact that it's me who will be cleaning it, unlike Martha Stewart who must have a cleaning crew on the show.

Here are some pictures from today's endeavor

Evidence of the mess













Batter and look at that bowl...totally splattered 



























Cake batter finally made it into the baking pans



























Part of what awaits me to clean













Recipe for Cinnamon Roll Cake

175g butter or margarine
2.5 dl sugar
2 eggs
3 dl sour cream
4.5 dl flour
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. baking powder

Filling:
1 dl sugar
3 tbsp. cinnamon

Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg one at a time, then add the sour cream. Mix together the dry ingredients and add to the wet mixture. Mix in separate bowl the sugar and cinnamon for the filling. In a baking pan (can be a bread form that you would make banana bread in) or a normal round 9in. put in half the batter and then sprinkle half of the filling on top and then smear the rest of the batter on and sprinkle the rest of the filling on top. Bake at 175C or 350F for 45-50 minutes.

Have a good evening and until my next post...why not throw some food around the kitchen...or maybe not.

Barefoot and Baking the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment