Sunday, October 31, 2010

The essence of baking

It has occurred to me that one way I deal with stress or locked up energy is bake. Not a huge surprise since I blog about baking twice a week. I find a sense of fulfillment when I have my hands in fresh dough or see the shine of glossy sugar cake batter or see the silky smoothness of melted chocolate and cream. I get urges to bake and realize that it's a way for me to really find some time to enjoy myself. Today's baking was no different, I have been craving homemade cinnamon buns for the longest time and seemed to be lacking one or two key ingredients when I would go to make them. Yesterday, with the cinnamon bun goal in mind, I made sure to grab what I needed while grocery shopping. I love cinnamon buns, especially in the fall, they just taste so good all the time. I like the feel of rolling the dough into existence, the way it rolls under my hands and feels so smooth and soft. I like the smell from the cardamom and melted butter that is mixed into the dough. Everything about the cinnamon bun I just seem to like. After it rises I roll it out to a nice flat shape and smear butter, cinnamon and sugar all over the space. Then rolling it from one side to the other making a long tube like form I will cut it into slices big enough to make individual buns. Placing them on the baking sheet to rise for some more time I will wait and anticipate the delicious flavor I know is coming. And after baking them for 15 minutes or so, I will sit down with a warm cup of tea and savor each and every bite of this scrumptious cinnamon bun. Baking for me is not just throwing something together so it tastes good, it is an art, it is the experience of the moment, it is the process not just the end result, it is a place where I can really be myself. Today I truly enjoyed my moment!

Until my next entry...thrive in what your good at!

Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen

Pictures of the buns in process:



























































































No comments:

Post a Comment