Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Went down with a treat

It was apparent to me today, that "image" is not everything. I have been a firm believer that when it comes to baking, you need to have the tastes that makes people ask you for the recipe(which you refuse to give) and a look that gives the WOW factor. However, I have been proven wrong this morning. Let me start from the beginning.

Last night I chose not to make the icing that I would cover these cakes with and instead would do it in the morning...that was my mistake.

As I begin this morning with the first batch of this Brown Swiss Meringue Butter cream frosting, I was confident with both my time and the look of the icing. Since I have never done this particular recipe before, I didn't really know what to expect. The taste turned out great and I set the first portion into the fridge to cool down and harden. The second batch was not as firm in its meringue peaks, but still resembled the first, so I mixed the two and set it in the fridge. As my time was drawing near to deliver the cakes I finished the third batch, which had a great meringue effect and I mixed all three together. Since I was delivering these cakes not too far from where I live, I walked them down the road and I left the frosting in the fridge to cool down. When I came back for it, I realized that this was not going to be a firm frosting and that I would in fact being pouring the mixture on top of my stacked cakes and have to call it good. It was one of the messiest cakes I have arranged and the frosting, consisting only of eggs, brown sugar and butter was very sticky. I topped these sad droopy cakes with my marzipan figures and with not so much dignity left of being a beautiful cake maker I put them out and just hoped that they would taste better then they looked.

The first people to come in, raved about how cute and lovely the cakes looked and I had to hide my surprise, which was soon replaced with success at the fact that the cakes won on their tastes and "went down with a treat"...as a British friend told me. 

No pictures of the completed cake, but I hope your endeavor is more successful than mine in both image and taste. I have some pictures of the icing I will post later. The good thing is, I might attempt this cake again now that I know I should have let the icing sit for hours rather then minutes.

Until next time let your taste buds enjoy their life!

Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen

These are pictures of the meringue as it's in the making and my marzipan figures with food coloring
































































No comments:

Post a Comment