Thursday, October 14, 2010

Homemade Apple Pie

Greetings!
I am getting ready to start the 2 apple pies I will be making today. My energy level at the moment is not very high, so it's good that I am not attempting another Martha Stewart beauty. My husband is sick in bed, which also means that I have to be a little quieter in the kitchen. Good thing this recipe doesn't call for any electric mixing. So for starters I am going to make the traditional filling that is common in apple pies and then I will do the pastry crusts.



















Here are the recipes and directions for both:

Apple Pie Filling
Ingredients:
1 C. cornstarch
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. salt
10 C. water
10-12 apples (peeled and sliced)


Directions:
In a pan, blend all  ingredients (except water and apples), stir in water and cook until thick and bubbly. Put apples in heat proof bowl, fill with the syrup put in boiling water for 20 minutes.Remove and set aside. This can be cooled and put in the refrigerator for later usage. One quart makes for (2) 9"  pies.

Pie Crust 
Ingredients:
2 C. flour
1 C. cold butter
pinch of salt
4 tbsp. cold water

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients, cut in butter and cold water and continue working until the dough forms. Do not over work. This will make 2 pie crusts. Roll crust into ball and then using a rolling pin flatten out. Cut off any excess that won't fit in your pan. You will want to have enough to cover both pies top and bottom. You can make the top in strips or just a smooth round piece to cover. Place one crust in round pie pan and then fill with apple filling and then lay the top crust on top.  Bake at 400 F or 200 C for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown on top. I like to serve this with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

See I told you...super simple!!

Barefoot and Baking in the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment